Thursday, August 16, 2012

Copycat Chicken Bryan with Simple Roasted Asparagus




If you read "Just for Cooking," you know that I normally do not use processed foods.  I like to make my own sauces.  

I am not "endorsing" this product, but I recently became a fan of the Gia Russa Simmer Sauces, particularly the Francaise.  I like it because you can pronounce everything on the label and it tastes fresh.  It's excellent for chicken or fish.

At $5.79 a jar, you might be saying, "How can this be 'cheapo' at all?"  The sauce is made with white wine, lemon juice and butter.  I only use four ounces in this dish.  That means I didn't have to purchase the wine and the other items.  I have lots left over to make another meal or two.  I had a dollar off coupon on the sauce, so that is even better.

As a tip, call the manufacturers of the products that you enjoy and ask, "Do you have any coupons?"  If you tell them how much you enjoy the product, they will often mail them to you.  That can save you a lot of money.

I used this sauce to make my knock-off version of one of my favorite dishes at Carrabba's, Chicken Bryan.  I got hungry for it the other night when my brother said he went and ate there and that is what he ordered. 

I've made knock-off versions before using the creamy sliced goat cheese.  Have you seen the price of that lately?  Whew! 

Even though I used the crumbled in this dish, I thought it was closer to the taste of the restaurant version than I had gotten before.  And it was so much simpler to make.  No slicing garlic or onion as it's already in the sauce!

This recipe is prepared for two.  It's perfect for a cheap romantic meal.  I even went "knock-off" on the wine here.  That is 100% Muscadine juice in the wine glass - no sugar added.  No alcohol and you won't miss it.  Dr. Oz touts Muscadine as healthy.  I am going to buy a case of that juice this weekend.  So refreshing.

This recipe and side comes in at a $4.24 per person.  I didn't price out the fresh herbs, as you can use any you have on hand or even dried parsley for color.  I grow my own fresh herbs and here at Cheapo, I recommend you do too. It can save you so much money!

Cooking spray, salt, pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil are nominal. 

I have a good quality non-stick skillet, so all I used was cooking spray to brown the chicken.

Asparagus are almost out of season but you can get good deals on them right now. 

Ingredients:

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, five ounces each, pounded to 1/4 inch thick  - $3.50
Salt, to taste (nominal)
Fresh pepper, to taste (nominal)
1/2 lb. fresh medium asparagus $1.44
Drizzle of olive oil
1 ounce sun dried tomatoes, Julienne cut - $0.93
3 tbs. water
4 ounces Gia Russa Francaise Simmer Sauce - $1.44
2 ounces crumbled goat cheese - $ 1.16
Freshly torn or chopped basil or lemon basil (optional)

Other:  Olive oil Cooking Spray

Total:  Approximately $8.47

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Spray cooking spray into skillet.  Salt and pepper chicken on both sides.  Add to skillet and brown evenly, about two minutes each side.

Meanwhile, add asparagus to a baking pan.  Drizzle with olive oil and bake for ten minutes.

Add sun dried tomatoes to a microwave safe bowl.  Add the water.  Microwave on high, uncovered, for three minutes until the tomatoes are soft and reconstituted.  Remove from microwave but DO NOT DRAIN.

Add the Francaise sauce to the pan with the chicken.  Add the sun dried tomatoes and the water in which they were reconstituted.  Bring to boil and reduce to simmer, about six minutes.

Plate immediately and top with goat cheese and fresh basil.  Serve with asparagus.

Enjoy!

See you soon!

1 comment:

  1. I normally like making my own sauce too but when time is short, good stuff from a jar can make a wonderful meal in a short time. This looks really good.

    ReplyDelete